Hutchison Brook

  • Flows south into Miramichi River at Douglastown.
  • Named for Richard Hutchison (1812-1891), immigrant from Scotland to Miramichi in 1826.
  • In 1844 he was a co-owner of Gilmour, Rankin and Company.

Black River

  • 8 miles southeast of Chatham. Post Office 1853-1955.
  • First settlers were disbanded soldiers from British Regiments, most of whom were of Scottish descent or extraction.
  • Later settlers included large groups from Perthshire and Sutherlandshire.
  • Formerly called Glenelg.

Black River Bridge

  • 10 miles east of Chatham. Post Office from 1860.
  • Settled in 1790 by immigrants from Scotland.

Blackville

  • South-west of Newcastle.
  • Post office from 1842. Incorporated 1966.
  • Named for the Parish in which it is located, which was named for William Black, born in Aberdeen, Scotland, colonial administrator of NB in 1829-31 during the absence of Lt. Gov. Douglas.
  • Formerly known as The Forks.

Breadalbane

  • 1 mile west of Blackville.
  • Tract of 10,000 acres laid out in 1856, 10 miles west of Blackville, but never settled.
  • Granted under the Free Grants Act 1879 as Breadalbane East and Breadalbane West.

Bartibog

  • 11 miles north of Chatham on Bartibog River.
  • Post Office Bartibogue 1853-1854; Post Office Bartibog 1857-1959.
  • Named for the river of the same name which runs through the settlement on its way to the Miramichi River.
  • Settled by immigrants from Scotland in 1812 and from Ireland in 1822.
  • Among the earliest settlers was Alexander MacDonald, disbanded soldier of the Revolutionary War, who prospered as a leading member of the community and whose stone farmhouse is open to the public for tours during the summer months.