St. Margarets

  • 15 miles southeast of Chatham.
  • Post Office Upper Bay du Vin 1853-1938; Post Office St. Margarets 1938-1969.
  • Named for the church there. Settled 1830.

McBeath Brook

  • Flows west into Black River, southeast of Chatham.
  • Named for John Angus McBean, a lumberman.
  • In Maliseet Neksegwesk.

Tabusintac

  • 14 miles south-west of Tracadie on the north shore of Miramichi Bay.
  • Post office from 1931.
  • Named for the river of the same name which runs through the settlement on its way into Miramichi Bay.
  • Among the early settlers (after the Acadians were driven from nearby Burnt Church) were many Highland Scots, including MacKenzies, MacLeods, and MacDonalds.

McDonald Point

  • Extends into Baie Sainte-Anne at Hardwicke.
  • Named for Alexander McDonald, a settler in 1790.

Upper Blackville Bridge

  • 8 miles southwest of Blackville. Post Office 1929-1967.

McKay Brook

  • Flows southwest into Northwest Miramichi River.
  • Named for Donald McKay, land grantee there.
  • In Mi’kmaq, Koolpichketchk, ‘to turn over’ in reference to a man who challenged others to push him over from a sitting position, but none could.

Wilsons Point

  • At the confluence of Southwest and Northwest Miramichi Rivers.
  • Named for John Wilson (1791-1876), innkeeper, jailer, cryer, and ferryman; b. Stromness, Orkney, Scotland.
  • Formerly called Beaubears Point, an anglicization of Boishébert.
  • During the Deportation of Acadians, Marquis Charles des Champs de Boishébert brought thousands of fleeing Acadians to adjacent Beaubears Island and the surrounding lands.

McKenzie Brook

  • Flows southwest into Southwest Miramichi River, opposite Keenan.
  • John McKenzie was a land grantee there.

McKnights Brook

  • Flows southeast into Miramichi Inner Bay at Neguac.
  • Named for John McKnight, from Scotland, first English-speaking settler there.

McLeods Brook

  • Flows northeast into Tabusintac River.
  • Probably named for Roderick McLeod (circa 1785-1864), settler 1803 from Scotland.
  • Also John McLeod (1751-1823) settled in the area, 1803, from Scotland.