McLeods

  • Named after Angus MacLeod, first postmaster.

Mowats Brook

  • Flows southeast into Tracy Brook.
  • Possibly named for John Mowat, of Campbellton, best informed person on Restigouche waters, circa 1896.

Murray Brook

  • Flows southwest into Southeast Upsalquitch River.
  • Probably named for a lumberman.
  • Formerly called Hutchinsons Brook.

New Mills

  • Settled by farmers from Isle of Arran and Ayrshire around 1816.

Ramsay Brook

  • Flows northeast into Southeast Upsalquitch River.
  • Possibly named for H. and P. Ramsay, pioneer lumber exporters at Dalhousie.

Upper Dundee

  • 9 miles southwest of Dalhousie. Post Office 1913-1947.

Campbellton

  • Post Office from 1845. Incorporated as town 1888, as city 1958.
  • Named by Robert Ferguson 1833, for Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843) Lieut. Governor of New Brunswick 1831-1837.
  • Earlier called Cavenick’s Point (or Kavanagh’s Point), named for a settler from Ireland in 1816; later Quinton’s Point; then Martin’s Point for a shipbuilder.
  • In Mi’kmaq, Wisiamkik, ‘muddy place’ in reference to stirring of sediment there in the narrowing of the Restigouche.
  • Probably site of Petite Rochelle, Acadian village established in 1757, destroyed by British in 1760.

Belledune

  • 21 miles northwest of Bathurst.
  • Post Office from 1847. Also Post Office Turgeon 1906-1967. Village incorporated 1968.
  • Settled from Ireland 1825, and Scotland 1832.

Dalhousie

  • Post Office from 1831. Shire town of Restigouche County 1837. Town incorporated 1905.
  • Probably named by Sir Howard Douglas in 1826 for James Andrew Brown Ramsay, 10th Earl and 1st Marquis of Dalhousie (1812-1860), Gov. Gen. of Canada, 1819-1828, who visited there when the place was named.
  • In Mi’kmaq Sigadomkuk, possibly ‘place of bright stones and many shells’.

Dawsonville

  • First established in 1879 as Dawsonvale under Free Grants Act.
  • Robert, Ralph and John Dawson (first postmaster) were granted land there.