• Post Office from 1845. Incorporated as town 1888, as city 1958.
  • Named by Robert Ferguson 1833, for Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843) Lieut. Governor of New Brunswick 1831-1837.
  • Earlier called Cavenick’s Point (or Kavanagh’s Point), named for a settler from Ireland in 1816; later Quinton’s Point; then Martin’s Point for a shipbuilder.
  • In Mi’kmaq, Wisiamkik, ‘muddy place’ in reference to stirring of sediment there in the narrowing of the Restigouche.
  • Probably site of Petite Rochelle, Acadian village established in 1757, destroyed by British in 1760.


  • 21 miles northwest of Bathurst.
  • Post Office from 1847. Also Post Office Turgeon 1906-1967. Village incorporated 1968.
  • Settled from Ireland 1825, and Scotland 1832.


  • Post Office from 1831. Shire town of Restigouche County 1837. Town incorporated 1905.
  • Probably named by Sir Howard Douglas in 1826 for James Andrew Brown Ramsay, 10th Earl and 1st Marquis of Dalhousie (1812-1860), Gov. Gen. of Canada, 1819-1828, who visited there when the place was named.
  • In Mi’kmaq Sigadomkuk, possibly ‘place of bright stones and many shells’.


  • First established in 1879 as Dawsonvale under Free Grants Act.
  • Robert, Ralph and John Dawson (first postmaster) were granted land there.


  • 6 miles southwest of Dalhousie.
  • Post Office 1862-1957. Also Post Office Shannonvale circa 1885-1956.
  • Settled by Scottish circa 1830.

Ferguson Point

  • Extends into Restigouche River at Atholville.
  • Named for Robert Ferguson (?1768-1851) who established Athol House there in 1796.

Glen Levit

  • 9 miles southwest of Campbellton. Post Office Glenlivet circa 1889-1967.
  • Named by John Wright for Glenlevit in Scotland.


  • 7 miles southwest of Campbellton.
  • Post Office circa 1889-1970.
  • Probably named for Glen Coe in Scotland.

Heron Island

  • Named after the flocks of heron there.
  • Settled by people from the Isle of Arran in 1826, the first European settlers in the area.

Archibald Settlement

  • 19 miles southeast of Dalhousie.
  • Post Office circa 1885-1968, Mrs. Catherine Archibald, first postmaster.
  • Settled in 1836. William, Robert and Hugh Archibald, natives of Isle of Aran, were grantees of land.