Stonehaven

  • 16 miles northeast of Bathurst. Post Office circa 1889-1950.
  • Probably named for Stonehaven, Scotland.

Belledune

  • 21 miles northwest of Bathurst.
  • Post Office from 1847. Also Post Office Turgeon 1906-1967. Village incorporated 1968.
  • Settled from Ireland 1825, and Scotland 1832.

Campbells Point

  • Extends into Miscou Harbour.
  • Named for John Campbell, grantee of land from Scotland, who was drowned crossing to Shippagan.

Campbells River

  • Flows northeast into Miscou Harbour.
  • Named for John Campbell, grantee of land from Scotland, who was drowned crossing to Shippegan.

Canobie

  • 14 miles east of Bathurst. Post Office circa 1885-1933.
  • Named for Canonbie in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

Carron Point

  • Northeast of Bathurst Harbour.
  • Origin unknown; possibly named for Loch Carron in Scotland or for a French family.
  • Spelled ‘Carron Point’ for the point, but ‘Caron Point’ for the community.

Dunlop

  • 6 miles northwest of Bathurst.
  • Post Office circa 1889-1921.
  • Settled circa 1841 by Scottish.

Ferguson Point

  • Extends into Bathurst Harbour.
  • Named for Francis Ferguson, settler circa 1843.
  • Formerly called Pointe aux Pères, named for the chapel of Fathers André Richard and Jacques Ratel 1646.
  • Later known as Allan’s Point, named for William Allan, who had a 2000-acre grant there.

Ferguson Point

  • Peninsula 2 miles south of Tracadie.
  • Named for William Ferguson, Loyalist from Pennsylvania circa 1786.
  • Extremity of peninsula, formerly named Pointe du Bar, now Pointe à William.

Gordon Meadow Brook

  • Flows north into Nepisiguit River.
  • Named for John Gordon, grantee of land in 1818.
  • In Mi’kmaq Owokun, ‘portage’.