Hendry Brook

  • Flows northeast into Chaleur Bay at Belledune.
  • Named for Robert Hendry from Ayrshire, Scotland 1833; his son built the first mills.
  • Also known as Chalmers Brook, named for John Chalmers, first inn owner beside it.


  • 21 miles northwest of Bathurst.
  • Post Office from 1847. Also Post Office Turgeon 1906-1967. Village incorporated 1968.
  • Settled from Ireland 1825, and Scotland 1832.

Adams Brook

  • Flows northeast into Rivière Caraquet.
  • Named for Harvey and Alexander Adams, timber traders, 1817, who later went to the Restigouche River area.