https://www.nbscots.com/uploads/2018/08/logo_204x240.png 0 0 NBSCA https://www.nbscots.com/uploads/2018/08/logo_204x240.png NBSCA2022-09-06 16:21:522022-09-06 16:21:52Campbellton
- Post Office from 1845. Incorporated as town 1888, as city 1958.
- Named by Robert Ferguson 1833, for Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843) Lieut. Governor of New Brunswick 1831-1837.
- Earlier called Cavenick’s Point (or Kavanagh’s Point), named for a settler from Ireland in 1816; later Quinton’s Point; then Martin’s Point for a shipbuilder.
- In Mi’kmaq, Wisiamkik, ‘muddy place’ in reference to stirring of sediment there in the narrowing of the Restigouche.
- Probably site of Petite Rochelle, Acadian village established in 1757, destroyed by British in 1760.